Slider
  • Cohoctah Township was originally known as Tuscola Township
    • 1833 Settlers and speculators began purchasing land in Tuscola Township
    • 1857 the name was changed to Bristol Township
    • 1867 the name was changed to its present name
  • It is believed that Cohoctah was the name of a former Native American chief, and means "many trees in water," although no one knows for sure
  • The territory was bought by two types of purchasers; those intending to develop and settle the land and those looking to be investors.
    • 1833 - First settler was a trader named Gilbert W. Prentiss, who made two claims in the NE 1/4 of section 22, totaling 120 acres.
    • 1834 - Second settler and the first permanent resident, was John Sanford from New York. He began what was known as the Sanford Settlement in section 27 (Byron and Chase Lake Road), which was for some time the center of the township's population.
    • 1836 - Three-quarters of the township's acreage was purchased in one year, beginning in May, average size of 146 acres per sale.
    • 1836 - The first surveyor's record of the first regular highway in Cohoctah, from Howell to John Sanford's residence.
    • 1846 - The first grist mill and dam were built on a 40 acre tract of land in the North part of section 36 on Bo-bish-e-nung creek, which at this point had a fall of over 13 feet. About the same time a small store was built, and soon a village began to develop. It was called Chemungville after a county in New York. The post office was called Oak Grove.
  • In the late 1850's or 1860's, the area known as Sprungtown grew up around a steam sawmill near the current Cohoctah Center.
    • Named after a prominent citizen, Isaac Sprung, at its peak Sprungtown contained two stores, two blacksmith shops, about a dozen homes, and a population of 50.
    • It was hoped that the railroad would come to Sprungtown, but was instead built through Tuscola, which was started shortly after Sprungtown.
    • 1874 - The Sprungtown post office was moved to Cohoctah. The other post office in the township remained in Oak Grove.



Sources: Mrs Chester Randles in History & Folklor of Livingston County (1969, Livingston County Extension Council) and History of Livingston County, Michigan, 1880.

Past Elected Officials in Cohoctah Township

Cohoctah Township Supervisor Mark Fosdick compiled the information after making a review of records in Cohoctah Township. The records only date back to 1911, but provide valuable information on the history of Cohoctah Township. Up until 1943 the terms of elected office were one year. Starting in 1943 the terms of elected office were two years, and later changed to four years.

Supervisors

1911 – 1913    Clarence Fuller
1914                William Trowbridge
1915 – 1916    Edwin Pratt
1917 - ?           Daniel C. Richards

1932 – 1933    O.H. Holmes
1934 – 1936    John Layton
1937 – 1968    Carl Raddatz

On February 16, 1968 a special meeting was called to choose a new supervisor due to the accidential death of Carl Raddatz. Glendon Hoisington was appointed to fill the remainder of the term. Mr. Hoisington was not at the meeting, but when called he came over and was sworn in. Mr. Hoisington resigned from the zoning board.

1968 – 1984    Glendon Hoisington
1984 – 1996    Rex L. Peckens
1996 – 2000    Joseph Miesle
2000 -              Mark Fosdick

Clerk

1911 – 1912    William H. Slider
1913 -              William H. Trowbridge
1914 – 1915    Bruce Hadsall
1916 –  ?         Paul Steinacker

1932 – 1933    Earl Bohm
1934 – 1935    Harold Allbright
1936                Russel Switzer
1937 – 1938    Floyd E. Lott, Sr.
1939 – 1941    Lloyd Allbright
1942 – 1947    Mary Lott
1947 – 1948    Arthur Otts
1949 – 1959    Edward Schroeder
1959 – 1984    Ralph Peckens
1984 – 1989    Sandra Klender
1989 – 1993    Gary Campbell
1993 – 2008    Karen Thurner
2008 –  2017   Brenda Meek
2017 -                  Barb Fear

Treasurer

1911                Alva Ellis, Jr.
1912 – 1913    Joseph Hibbard
1914 – 1915    Roy M. Lannen
1916 –  ?         Ray Carlson

1932 – 1935    E.T. Jubb
1936 – 1959    Vera Kessler
1959 – 1977    Thomas Lound
1977 – 1982    Margaret E. Holmes
1982 – 1992    Mary Ann Reneaud
1992 – 2002    Marshal Forbush
2002 – 2003    Michelle Julvezan
2003 -              Tami Bock

Justice of the Peace

1911                John Fredrickson, 8 months
1911                Frank Handy, 4 years
1912                John Fredrickson, 4 years
1913                William B. Slider, 4 years
1915                Roy Carlson, 4 years
1916                John Fredrickson, 4 years
1917                William B. Reader, 4 years

1932                Dan Hendryx, 4 years
1933                George Killen, 4 years
1934                Clare Wessinger, 4 years
1935                Carl Raddatz, 4 years
1936                Dan Hendryx, 4 years
1937                George Killen, 4 years
1938                George Surtzer, 4 years
1939                Joe Brown, 4 years
1940                Dan Hendryx, 4 years
1940                Kenneth Steinacker, 1 year
1941                Kenneth Steinacker, 4 years
1942                Edwin Pratt, 4 years
1943                Eugene Pitteys, 4 years
1945                Kenneth Steinacker, 4 years
1945                Dan Hendryx, 4 years
1947                John Wrigglesworth, 4 years
1949                Vernon Praatt

1953                Kenneth Peckens, full term
1953                Kenneth Steinacker

1959                Kenneth Steinacker

Highway Commissioners

1911                William Lott
1912                William Wrigglesworth
1913                Albert S. Crawford
1914                Benjamin Knapp
1915 – 1916    Richard Wrigglesworth
1917 – ?          Bradley M. Lott

1932 – 1934    William Stone
1935 – 1937    Edwin Pratt
1938 – 1945    Clair Lott
1945 – 1949    Ernest Tisch

1953                John Wrigglesworth

Overseer of Highways

1911                Greenley Elwell
1912                H. G. Elwell
1913                Benjamin Knapp
1914                Richard K. Wrigglesworth
1915 – 1916    Bradley Lott
1917                G. D. Cook

Trustee

1953                Charles Ward
                        Floyd Lobdell
1954                Ellmer Boillat, appointed to fill vacancy
1955                Thomas Jackson and Tom Lound, appointed to fill vacancy
1956 – 1959    Tom Lound
1956 – 1961    Thomas Jackson
1959 – 1968    Andrew Jackson
1961 – 1967    Charles Ward
1967 – 1981    Harold Lieberman
1968 – 1984    Joseph Miesle, Jr.
1981 – 1988    John A. Ishler
1984 – 1989    Gary Campbell
1984 – 1992    Marshal Forbush
1989 -              William Thurner
1992 -  2008    Ron Smith
2008 -               Fred Buckner